Thursday, July 13, 2006

Arriving in Peru, I soon realized I had no idea of what to expect. The city of Lima had a white hazy smog hovering over the top of it that never seemed to leave. My first impression was that it was just a foggy morning, then I quickly came to realize it was nothing more than good old fashioned smog that was there to stay. My next impression came from the city itself. I do have to say I was impressed with the roads at 5:30 in the morning. Not a lot of traffic, and nothing too strange except for the random law enforcement people on the side of the roads with their automatic rifles in hand. It wasn't until later in the day I came to find that the city of Peru and all over Peru was filled with taxi cabs and busses. It is pretty rare to find a common person with their own car that they don't double as their taxi business, however there are those... driving in Peru is another story, nothing like the united states. If there is room, it is a lane... driving in Lima just might be the most exciting and adventerous thing you can do when visiting Peru. They have little cars called tikos which are like the american geo metro, but smaller and busses which are driven as if they were the same size and sports cars driven by Dale Earnhardt jr. I never knew a bus ride could be so exhilerating. I once saw a bus which had creamed through three different cement telephone poles and had the top completely torn from the bus. I don't know what happened to the passengers, but I can only assume. To say the least driving in Peru is something else... well I think I have rambled enough for one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home